Montag, 3. Juni 2019

Thoughts on Titles

I'm currently working on older piano pieces that I wrote in 2015 and ... I noticed a thing.

The concept I had back then was a series of pieces called "Hierarchies", which the individual pieces titled "The Peasant", "The Nobility", "The Preacher", "The Factory worker" and "The Asylum Seeker". At the time, I felt some kind of urgency to make my music more political, as this was the time when lots of refugees from Syria came to Europe and right-wingers used them as talking points.

Only now I do not feel comfortable any more with both the titles for these pieces and the concept behind it. "Hierarchies" was meant to point a finger towards classism, but I did not understand much about it. Why did I include a piece called "The Peasants"? Not because I saw some kind of political statement, but because I already had this peace that was basically a peasant song, and ... it sort of fit? I handwaved it in.

Calling a piece "Asylum Seeker" while doing basically nothing to make it an actual meaningful statement was also ... just a really bad idea. Even if I had found the time to actually finish the piece itself to my satisfaction.

And "The Preacher" ... well. Back then I was more involved with Atheism and I had personally met an anti-gay-preacher (for example) and listened to plenty more. But now I realize that there are just as many bigoted non-believers out there - and frankly, the number of cishet atheist men that have disappointed me is staggering, so it no longer feels right to point the finger at religious extremists. Especially since right-wingers use that rhetoric to justify their hatred of Muslims.

The world has changed since 2015. Trump happened, for example. Is still happening, and people are in the process of getting denied fundamental human rights...

"Hierarchies" was a way to just say: Hey, there are those different people and they don't have equal rights. But even that was messed up because I threw together status/class ("nobility"), action (hate-speech "preacher") and put together some half-hearted sad-music for the refugees. It feels like I instrumentalized their pain for a mediocre (ok, actually worse than that) piece of music, instead of doing the opposite, using art as a way to help a cause.

"Factory Worker" ... I'm uncomfortable with that too. I never worked in a factory, for once, and factory work is only one particular kind of shitty experience that capitalism provides (and not a particular new one). So yes, the piece absolutely works as a parody of the kind of hand movements a worker does at an assembly line, but do I really need to make a parody of that?

From the five original pieces, I'll rework two to include them in my folder for my masters degree... the Preacher will get a different name, and for the other piece I think I'll go with "'Etude" subtitled "A sado-minimalist meditation on Capitalism". I feel that this makes it clearer that I do not attempt to describe a situation that I've never experienced myself. It is merely a piece in a particular style (sado-minimalism is a term some dude invented to describe Ustvolskaya, and while I disagree with it's use for her work, it does describe my piece pretty much perfectly), a style that I relate to and I do think about Capitalism and how it relates to our lives a lot - while not having experienced its worst sides. And I probably never will, with all my privileges and such...

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen